When people hear how many times I’ve been to Disneyland while being pregnant I typically get the same reactions, “is it even fun?” “can you even do anything there?” and so on. If you’ve asked me such questions, then you know I have a very strong answer to this – similar to when people ask me if its worth taking infants or small children to Disneyland. YES IT IS STILL FUN. YES IT IS STILL WORTH IT. YES THERE IS STILL LOTS TO DO AND ENJOY. YES YOU WILL STILL HAVE A MAGICAL TIME. I don’t think when Walt Disney created the park he said that he wanted everyone of all ages to enjoy Disneyland except the expectant mothers. That just doesn’t seem like something the most magical man ever would say.
Yes, your vacation to Disneyland while pregnant will likely be quite different from the trips you’ve taken before sans bun-in-the-oven. I can almost guarantee you that you’ll feel hotter quicker and feel a little sleepier faster and then of course there is the discomfort your body feels. BUT don’t let that stop you. Be openminded and remember that yes, you’re pregnant, but you can still have a magical time. Remember that a positive attitude can do you wonders!
Its probably a good idea to alert your OB/GYN that you’re planning a trip to the Happiest Place on Earth. If they’re like mine they’ll likely tell you to have a great time and to make sure not to ride any of the fast/jerky/rough rides and to listen to your body and put that first and send you on your way. Obviously every pregnancy is different, but this is how its gone for me so far.
So lets talk about what you can do so I can hopefully convince you that Disneyland while pregnant is still a magical experience, deal?
- All the slower, non-thrill, crazy rides! You may hear this and roll your eyes and think to yourself ‘how boring’ – but I promise they’re not!! Some of the best rides in many peoples opinions aren’t the thrill rides if you can believe it. Remember, you have to have a different mindset on this trip so make sure that mindset is open to the less crazy rides and I promise you’ll have a lot of fun on them. Another way to look at it is its time off your feet!! I’m a big foot-sweller so I’m extra thankful for some time being seated.
- You can also take this opportunity to really enjoy the shopping Disneyland has to offer. I know a lot of non-pregnant people know about the great shops, but you’d be surprised how many people bypass the shopping altogether so they can get more rides in. I totally get that. But one of my favorite things has been wandering through the different stores as my family goes on one of the rides I am not currently able to ride. Its fun to window shop – or actually shop and add to your Disney souvenir collection!
- Whats most pregnant women’s favorite thing to do? (well, mine at least) EAT! Some of the food at Disneyland and California Adventure have the power to change your lives, people. I’d personally recommend (in disneyland) Pommes Frites at Cafe Orleans, Corn Dogs from Stage Door Cafe, Chicken Fried Chicken from Carnation Cafe, any treat from Jolly Holiday, a Dole Whip outside of Tiki room and (from california adventure) a Chili Cone Queso from Cozy Cone, cotton candy – you can find this all over the park and ice cream – again you can find this all over.
- Watch the shows such as parades, actual productions, fireworks, World of Color, Fantasmic, etc. These are more aspects of the park I feel like people quickly will pass up in order to get on Space Mountain when the line isn’t too long but now that Space Mountain isn’t even an option for you, why not give them a whirl? You’ll love what you see.
- Slow down and smell the roses. In other words, be ok with the fact that you’re going to need to take some breaks. People watching in Disneyland is fun! Its ok to pop in another store or restaurant because you need some air conditioning in your life. Don’t be afraid to work your way through the park at a much slower pace than you’re used to. You’ll be able to observe more and see more of Disney’s clever, hidden magic.
There is so much more I could expound on and add to this post. I just wanted to graze the surface here and show you all how possible it is to still enjoy your time at Disneyland even when you’re waddling and take up more space than you once did. Disneyland is for everyone! – even you, pregnant lady!