General Conference starts a week from today! Who’s excited?
*picture me enthusiastically raising my hand*
I always look forward to General Conference every 6 months, but I’m especially excited for this particular Conference. Rumor has it, there is going to be some announcements made. What about? I don’t think anyone really knows, but there are lots of speculations, theories and predictions out there. Some seem more believable than others, but I’m not getting too hooked on any of them since no one really knows what the announcements could be yet. I’ve also heard that its possible the announcements could be a little uncomfy for some members of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints. Thats what I’m most curious about. What on earth could it be?? Luckily I only have a week to wait. I feel calm about the announcements that will be made – I have a testimony that our Prophet, President Nelson gets direction and guidance from the Lord and the things that are going to happen are what God wants. So I’m not worried about my testimony being shaken or my faith wavering, I’m just anxious to hear what it is. If you want to know what these announcements are that will be made, along with hearing some amazing, inspiring talks and beautiful music, I highly suggest you tune in and watch/listen to/read General Conference (Oct 6-7).
The week before General Conference is a big one for me. I am always trying to be a good person throughout the whole year, but I feel like the week before Conference I really up my game because I want to be as prepared as I can be when I hear the words spoken during General Conference. I want to be able to soak in as much of the talks as I can, feel as much of the spirit as I can and be able to learn the things the Lord wants me to learn from the sessions of Conference. Its an exciting time for me that I look forward to.
Here is how I prepare for General Conference:
- Throughout the six months in between Conferences, I read the talks that were given in the most recent sessions several times. I like to listen to them or read them a few times so I am able to really let the lessons and words soak in. Its also a really great way to set the tone for your day when you listen to a talk in the morning while you get ready – thats my favorite way to do it.
- The week before Conference I pray specifically to be ready to hear what I need to. I ask that I can be open to hearing whatever kind of guidance I may need and that I will be able to remember the things I’ve learned specifically for myself and that I can act on the promptings I will receive.
- I come up with 1-5 questions to seek answers to during Conference. A Seminary teacher suggested doing things years ago and I absolutely love it. I come up with a few questions, I pray about them and ask that if its possible, I find the answers or some direction to these questions while I listen to the talks and music. I’ve had several very personal, powerful and special moments during Conference when a question is answered in a simple phrase during a talk. Its amazing and definitely makes my testimony grow. It reminds me just how mindful Heavenly Father is of me, and even my simple, probably not super important questions.
- I get lots of activities for my kids. I love to take notes during Conference and thats significantly more difficult with children. I make sure I have a lot of things to keep them occupied for as long as possible while I watch so I can focus as best as I can.
- I make sure I have whatever notebook I’m using to take notes in and some pens that I like to write with. I love taking notes on General Conference and its even more fun with fun, easy-to-write-with pens!
- I study the scriptures better. I’ve been a slacker with scripture study lately. I read them, but I don’t really study them as much as I should. But I feel like I do a lot better the week leading up to Conference.
What do you do to prepare??
I hope you have a wonderful week before General Conference and I hope you watch/listen to or read the talks!! Theres something in Conference for everyone!