How did January both creep by excruciatingly slow, but also zip by in the blink of an eye? Anyone else feel me? I’ll tell you this much, I’m happy to give January a little kiss on the cheek and send it on its way. Its been a fine month but it also hasn’t been my favorite. I feel like poor January never gets a lot of loving, likely because it follows the very best months (October, November and December) so I even tried to cherish it a little bit more this year, and while it was still very good, I’m excited to move on to February.
- I faced some fears this month. I had to mindfully will myself to get there and say some things that I honestly had planned on keeping a secret inside myself for my entire life. But this month I just felt a really strong pull to say some of these things. It wasn’t easy and I still cringe a bit thinking about how it all went down, but now that its all said and done, I’m proud of myself for being brave and doing it. Sorry this bullet point is so vague, I just wanted the reminder that sometimes I am actually capable of being braver and more courageous than I feel.
- Our family has been doing so good on our daily Come Follow Me (our churches – the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints curriculum this year – focusing on the Book of Mormon). We got into the swing of things fast, found a method that works really, really well for us and we have been doing awesome at it. Its amazing to see just how much the boys are retaining, too! It makes it all a lot more exciting and fulfilling. Its been fun to view The Book of Mormon, a book I’ve read several times, in such a different way too.
- I’m not extra in most things, but when it comes to planners – I am. I have two planners (a bullet journal and a Leafy Treetops Planner) and I adore them both. They’ve brought me so much joy this month. I find I get my most fulfilling me-time when I’m working in them. They somehow are helping my anxiety and the overwhelm I feel so easily. I’m also liking my layouts a lot this year (so far) so they’re just making me feel really good and happy.
- My boys are just angel humans. Their friendship has changed a lot this month with both of them getting older, and while its exhausting and sometimes a little violent (boys *eyeroll*) its one of the best things to witness.
- I’ve finally got some energy back. I forgot just how sleepy pregnancy makes me. I’ve really missed the alone time Craig and I get after the boys go to bed, because typically I’ve just gone to bed right after putting the boys to bed because I’ve literally felt as if I couldn’t keep my eyes open a second longer. But this month I’ve been able to stay up later and not feel like its killing me. Craig and I have been having amazing conversations, watching shows or just doing nothing together, but it was time I really missed with him and I’m happy to have back.
- We’ve gone to our local Rec Center several times this month to let the boys swim and get some energy out. Its always kind of a marathon getting there and leaving there, but its been worth it every single time.
- The sicknesses we had in January were all, thankfully, short-lived and I am extremely grateful for that. Germs scare the heck out of me and I’ve tried so hard to minimize them in our house and I think (knock on wood) its paying off!
- My youngest sister is nearing the end of her Senior year of high school, which means she’s also nearing the end of her Drill Team career. She’s Head Captain this year and its been a lot on her, but she handles it all with so much grace. Its been so fun to be able to sneak away either with the boys or by myself to watch her do what she’s always been so good at.
- We found out this baby is a baby sister!! It was totally a shock to our systems at first and it’ll be so different from what we’ve grown so used to, but we are so, so, so excited to meet little sister! I can’t wait to see how she changes the dynamic of our family and I especially can’t wait to watch her big brothers relationship with her.
- Emmett had a broken foot and sprained ankle for a good portion of the month (it all happened on Christmas Eve when he jumped off our couch and landed bad). His boot he had to wear didn’t slow him down at all, but I just felt bad for him for so long. Feeling that kind of sadness for your kid wears on you after a while. It was a joyous day when we got to remove the boot!
- I’m sure its the pregnancy – and maybe that it a girl? – but my emotions have been off the charts. I. cry. at. everything! If you’ve seen me anytime recently, I’m sure you can attest to it. If I’m not crying, I just look like I have been – and that’s because I have. Its not that I’m sad (I mean sometimes I am) but half the time I just cry because something is really beautiful or special or cute. Or there is absolutely no reason for me to cry and it just spills out. I’m tired of it, to be honest.
- My heartburn. My heartburn is so bad. I’m to the point where I’d rather feel extra nauseated than feel any heartburn. I’d rather throw up every ten minutes then have this heartburn. Nothing has helped much so far. June can’t come soon enough.
- Where is the snow? I’m sorry, but it is January and I have two little boys who would really, really like to play in the snow! So where is it, Utah??!
My word for 2020 is Home, and I’m loving it. I also feel like I’ve started the year exactly how I’ve wanted to with this word. A focus of mine has been to keep the house tidy (or as tidy as I can with my two tornado sons). Its a task for me because I just don’t feel good and my energy and motivation are still pretty low (where’s all that second trimester energy I keep hearing about?) but I’m doing enough thats making me feel accomplished and proud of myself. We have also been really focusing on keeping the gospel a very relevant topic in our home, as well as kindness, choosing the right, etc and its already helped the atmosphere in our home tremendously and its exciting, comforting and very peaceful.