Oh wow. Just like that its October 10th. Where the heck does time go? I have been really slacking on this blogging thing. I’ve even scheduled out time for myself to sit down and blog after H has gone to bed but I somehow always decide that taking a bath, eating ice cream or just going to bed myself is a better option. I want to be a more dedicated blogger. Remember when I used to blog almost daily?? Where’d that girl go? cause she sure isn’t here anymore! I kind of feel like its been good for me, too. For a while my blog probably took priority over things that it shouldn’t have. I’ve been able to find a better balance of when to blog and when to be a wife/mom and productive human. Will I blog better now? I make no guarantees. Hopefully October will pop out a few more posts. November will probably have a few but once baby is born (because I’M DUE NEXT MONTH!) I highly doubt that I’ll be very consistent. I have plans for some fun Christmas/wintery posts for December but we’ll see if those happen or not. Basically what I’m saying is I still love blogging but I’ll do it when I have time.
Even though my last post was a GBOMB I still feel like I have several recent updates. So I guess this post is now turning into a bullet point list talking about things that have happened to us so far this month.. Basically a GBOMB a few weeks early I guess.
- We watched General Conference (and i was able to take notes on every speaker because H was being an angel baby!) at my parents beautiful condo in Eden, Utah. It was a perfect, relaxing weekend and it was a recharge I didn’t even know I was so terribly in need of.
- Baby is no longer breech!! Also, I’m 34 weeks pregnant (yesterday).
- I’ve been bit by the holiday baking bug. Have I actually baked much yet? No. Just some pumpkin chocolate chip bread and a cake – but I have lots of plans for upcoming treats to bake during the next couple of months.
- October means I can now say I am due next month!! I am so stinkin’ excited. I actually feel a lot more prepared for his arrival than I thought I would. That worries me a little to be honest because theres no way I’m completely ready a whole month in advance, right? I have to be forgetting something – don’t I? But then why can’t I think of what that is?
- Our cute puppy got spayed and I had high hopes that she’d be lazy and out of it for a few days. No. She was out the day we brought her home and was back to her usual hyper, crazed self the very next day. Darn.
- H and I have both been battling colds. Never fun. But next week we have big, exciting plans so I’m glad we’re getting this over with before then. Assuming that the colds will actually be gone by then!
- Our nephew was baptized and our niece was blessed. Those are two ordinances that I’m always particularly excited about. They’re so special and exciting and help remind me of the blessings and promises I have been given.
- H is talking SO much more lately. Its so much fun and so cute to see how he pronounces words.
- We decorated for Halloween and it literally made me emotional. I LOVE the holiday seasons. October through December are the. best. ever.
Fall is finally officially here and I couldn’t be more overjoyed. But I have to admit, as I look back at Summer I have to confess it was a really great season with some really great moments and memories. We spent a lot of time swimming in my parents pool, spending time in the mountains, playing in our yard with our new puppy and going on evening walks together as a family – something that has become something H eagerly looks forward to daily.
It was both busy and relaxing with some big, fun trips and a lot of days spent in the comfort of our cozy home. It was chaotic at times and it was blissful at times. I discovered – or at least came to terms with – the fact that I think I’m battling some crappy anxiety again and the closer I get to delivery the worse it gets. Is pre-partum anxiety a thing?
H grew up a ton. He’s learned a lot more words, is able to correctly identify lots of various things, is so observant, curious and a little baby genius. Our baby has grown healthily and what seems like really quickly. I feel like our family has grown a lot. We have somehow got even closer to one another.
We have been killing our daily prayer and scripture study, we have turned a new page and have a newfound determination to make church really count and make a conscious effort to stay all three hours (it definitely helps that H is in nursery now). Its just been a great couple months, even when it was so hot outside I wanted to cry and hideaway in our freezing basement.
But you better believe I’m so dang ready for Fall and all the celebrations, big events, holidays and traditions it brings. As I’m typing this I am wearing slippers and a hoodie! Do you even understand how excited this makes me? Fall is the best – don’t even try to fight me on this.
Summer, you were a good one. Thanks for all the memories.
Is there anything better than Fall? The clothes, the smells, the colors, the food, the traditions. I look forward to this season all year long. Winter, Spring and Summer are great and all that – but in my book, nothing can beat Fall.
Today is the first day of Fall and I’ve created a little bucket list for this season to ensure that it is that great of a season.
My Fall Bucket List
- Have a super cute baby boy
- Eat a shameful amount of apple pie without feeling any shame at all
- Bust out all those Fall maternity clothes I’ve so eagerly been looking forward to wearing
- Wool socks. Every day.
- Drink at least one cup of hot chocolate a day
- Teach H the joy of jumping in a pile of raked up leaves
- Take family pictures
- Take maternity pictures a few weeks before baby is due to arrive
- Start Christmas shopping
- Find a bunch of Fall crafts on Pinterest to recreate
- Light my Fall scented candles
- Break out the Christmas Music because its totally ok to listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving
- Decorate for Fall in general, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving and the day after Thanksgiving – bust out Christmas decor
- Throw our annual Halloween Pool Party – mostly Wild Man’s thing
- Obviously eat a ton of candy around Halloween
- Give Candy Corn another shot – maybe it’ll taste better this year
- Go on walks and crunch old leaves under our feet as a family (yes – this is something i genuinely look forward to)
- Watch General Conference while relaxing in my families amazing condo up north
- Buy a little rake so H can help in the yard
- Find a beanie that doesn’t look ridiculous on my big head
Today is game day, so I suppose I should start this post with saying: GO BYU! Its a big game today, too. Even I, a person who couldn’t possibly be less into sports, knows that. BYU vs. Utah. Its the big rivalry game. If I avoid pretty much all social media today and the next couple days, you can blame this football game. I HATE all the smack talk that goes on during and after this game. Like, I really don’t care – if BYU wins or if BYU loses my life will continue on the same and I will be fine. I know lots of people in my family don’t have this mindset, but hey, we can’t all be the same!
My favorite part of game day is the outfits. I think its fun to coordinate as a family in our BYU apparel. A couple weeks ago Wild Man and I went to the opening game with my parents (H stayed home with my sisters) and I thought we were such a cute little dressed-in-BYU family. Aren’t we?
So go BYU! And just a friendly reminder to be nice to people – even those who don’t like the same sports team as you.
I have waited all year long for September. My favorite time of year are the last few months of the year: September, October, November and December. The air starts to get cooler, the clothes get cozier, the family get-togethers are more frequent and consist of lots of delicious food, Disney Parks get even more magical, smells get yummier and my spirits get a lot higher (oh and lets not forget that highly anticipated baby thats going to get here in November!)
To be honest, I don’t really have a lot of plans for this month. I think nesting is starting to hit me so I’m sure I’ll do a bunch of cleaning, organizing and sorting through H’s old baby clothes. I want to bake more often. I want to blog more frequently. I want to take advantage of the last several weeks of my parents pool being open. I just want it to be a happy, relaxing but still productive month. I also want to start feeling the temperature drop. I love my Fall clothes the most – and I’m really sick of my Summer maternity clothes – I’m ready to break out the Fall clothes that will fit around my bump.
I know that sooner than later the Fall/Winter crafting bug is going to get me, too. There is something about September on that makes me want to drink a cup of hot chocolate while working on something to decorate my house with. Ugh. I’m so ready for this. Too bad that as I’m typing this its currently 80 something degrees outside.
So glad you’re finally here, September. All the heart-eyed emojis for you.
For Thanksgiving we went to California to visit Wild Man’s brother and wife in the San Francisco area and some of my mother in laws family in Modesto. We spent the week in California and it was such a fun week. I already miss the 24/7 family time (but nothing beats sleeping in your own bed amirite?)
San Francisco was amazing! The Golden Gate Bridge was my favorite. The size of that was incredible and seeing how high up off the water it was, was pretty overwhelming.
We also explored Pacific Wharf for a while and a few of the other iconic tourist attractions. I don’t know what I was thinking but I hardly pulled my camera out so I don’t have as many pictures as I wish I did.
When we were in Modesto for Thanksgiving we took H to a park at one point for a change of scenery and it was a big hit. The slide and swings were his favorite and nothing could beat the huge smile on his face!
Spending all that time with family was incredible. I have so missed Wild Man’s brother and his wife so we were thrilled to spend time with them. We played games, watched funny shows/movies, caught up and the laughs were endless.
I love this picture of his uncle giving him a little shoulder massage.
Out shopping on Black Friday..
On November 20th The Captain turned one and it was such a special day. Our sweet boy was surrounded by family and was reminded of just how loved he is. We were so happy to spend the day with those we love most who all gathered to celebrate our big one year old! We had a fun Mickey Mouse themed party that thrilled the birthday boy (he loves anything with Mickey on it) and made the day even better. We had spaghetti (H’s favorite) for dinner with salad, garlic bread and frog eye salad for dinner. The food was delicious and I’m thankful for my mom and mother in law who helped so much with the meal.
I was hoping that H would get into the gift opening but he was only interested for a few presents then was more interested in crawling away or playing with wrapping paper. So a lot of it was forcing him to sit on my lap while I speed opened his gifts. Our cute little guy was so spoiled and despite the way he may have looked when some of the gifts were opened, he is really into everything he got. Anything that had Mickey on it or was any form of stuffed animal got a great reaction from him, especially.
My little sister made a little ‘photo booth’ for me that we had everyone use and take a picture with the birthday boy and we took pictures with my Instax picture. I am so excited with how these pictures turned out! It is a fun way to remember such a great day.
I was so, so excited when I had a client a few months ago tell me that he would love to bake cake for H’s birthday party. He owns his own baking catering company and was more than happy to bring my cake vision to life with a great chocolate cake. He even added home made Italian vanilla ice cream! Wild Man and I were so grateful to him to take on this task. The cake was huge and turned out perfect and I’m sure it took so much time. What a great guy, right? Best of all, H loved it and it tasked divine. He also added the cute little yellow smiling candle because he said that every time he sees H, he makes him happy. It was such a sweet little addition.
My other little sister is quite the baker herself and offered to make the smash cake. It was a cute, small Mickey shaped chocolate cake with blue frosting. It turned out perfect! Watching H explore this cake was really funny. At first he wanted nothing to do with it then little by little he started taking bigger bites until finally he was taking fist full of cake and shoving them in his mouth.
And then he got real sick of the high chair and just wanted out…
It was an amazing day! I am humbled by how much love my son has from his family and how cared for he is. I love my sweet baby and can’t believe he’s already one!!