Oh, hey! Long time, no talk. I decided to take a break from blogging in December. I had all these grand intentions of doing lots of fun, holiday themed posts during the month, but then I felt like ultimately it would be more meaningful and important for me to really be present in each day. It was a great month, but it also kind of kicked our butts. It stretched me, I slept less than I have in quite a while, both our boys were hardly ever feeling well it seemed like, I turned another year older, I learned a lot, I started planning for the new year and so on. I never thought I’d say this, but I won’t be completely heartbroken this time to see December go. I’m just ready for our schedule, our plans, my new goals and to start working on some changes.
- Christmas. Christmas was amazing, especially Christmas morning. Being with just our family of four was so magical. The boys had an amazing time, they were really into gift opening and were so happy about the things they received. It all felt so relaxing and special. I’m still on a high from that great morning.
- I was put in as our wards Primary Secretary this month! The last few months I have actually been feeling like a change would be coming to my calling. I felt like I was going to have something quite a bit more responsible, and I was actually really excited about that. I didn’t know what it would be, and honestly I didn’t think it’d be in the Primary Presidency, but when I was asked if I’d serve in that position I was honestly filled with so much excitement! The new Presidency I was put in with is really awesome and I’m just so excited to be able to hold this calling and serve the sweet young ones in our ward.
- All the family time this month was wonderful. Wild Man’s whole family was in town, my grandparents came into town and we saw family here in Utah that we don’t see nearly as often as we should. I looked forward to each one of these family get togethers.
- Wild Man nailed my birthday and Christmas. He’s always a very thoughtful gift-giver, but he really outdid himself this year. The gifts he gave me still make my heart flutter. I felt so understood and cared for and really excited!
- H started his special speech delay preschool in November and I’m so impressed by his improvement and its only been a month! He’s blown us away with all of his progress. He is a talking machine now and I feel like he’s getting easier and easier to understand every day! I’m so proud of him.
- E got another double ear infection. We can’t remember for sure, but we think this is his sixth or seventh since October! So we will be beginning the process of getting tubes in his ear in January. Ear infections are awful to witness. I’m so over them for him. I feel like he never really heals from them so he just keeps getting them. I’m so annoyed, but very anxious (and nervous) for him to get tubes. Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully this will take care of the problem.
- Was it the best month for my mental health? No. Was it the best month for my physical health? No.
- By the end of the month I had got pretty down on myself. I’m still trying to figure this out. Its just one of those times, you know? But that doesn’t make them any easier. It is hard. It makes easy daily tasks difficult. I’m in a rut. I’m excited to get out of it.
ON MY BRAIN
- I turned 28. Why does 28 basically seem like 30 to me? It feels like a big number to me, but I’m also pretty hopeful for what my year will bring me.
- Last year I hardcore got the winter blues and it was my first time. But this year (so far, at least) I don’t even have a hint of that, which makes me wonder if it wasn’t actually winter blues but if it was baby blues? I did have a one month old last December. I don’t know. But I keep thinking about that.
- I’m really excited to get into January. I’m making some changes and entering the new year differently than I usually enter a new year (i’ll do a post more about that later). I’m excited to finally give myself the opportunity to do things the way I want to, not the way I feel like I’m supposed to. It feels good to embrace who you are and be ok with your quirks and your ideas and opinions.
- I hope you all had a happy 2018. I hope your 2019 is amazing. Thank you for sticking around with me for another year. I really appreciate my readers and those of you who spend some time with me here. Love you all! Happy New Year!
Oh, November. Thanks for being you. I wasn’t sure what to expect with this month. I decided to be openminded and it all turned out really well. I think we were sick like…the whole month (still), so that was a downer, but as far as I can recall, the rest of the month was nice, simple and sweet.
- It was birthday month for our boys! Now we have a one-year old and a three-year old! Is it weird if I say they’ve already both grown up some since becoming one year older? Because I swear that they have. You guys, they are such good boys. I am a very, very lucky mama.
- We had Thanksgiving with Wild Man’s brother and his family, along with two of our sister-in-laws sisters and their families. It was a fun group, a delicious meal and a wonderful day.
- I am on top of the ball for Christmas gifts. Like guys. I’m basically done – and its not even December!! I’m so proud of myself. Things are going so well. There are still a few things to finish up here and there, but I’m basically done so I’ll be more able to just enjoy the holidays without the stress of wondering what I should get everyone on my list.
- On Thanksgiving we put up all our Christmas decorations and YAY!
- I really should probably get to the doctor, but I’ve been sick for a couple weeks now and it hasn’t improved. Its most likely a sinus infection. Its just the worst. Thats all.
- My oldest family dog died. That really sucked. I think we got him when I was 15-ish, and it feels like he’s been part of the family forever. He was a fat, happy little (but actually huge) shih tzu and he was so gentle, playful and sweet. His death was sudden and sad and we miss him lots. Dogs are family, so it stings pretty bad when you have to say goodbye to them.
ON MY BRAIN
- We had our six year wedding anniversary this month. Six years. Thats an achievement! That feels like so long but also just the beginning. I was thinking back to our first year of marriage and I’m amazed and also so grateful at far far we’ve come along. Our relationship has changed so much. We fit together even better than we did when we were first married. Life with him is good, these past six years have been incredible and I’m really excited to see what our future holds.
- Christmas shopping is hard this year. Usually I’m a fountain of ideas. This year is just not the case. But finally the ball started rolling and I’m doing ok with ideas now. Thanks for asking.
- H had his first day of school (i just barely did a post on this) and its giving me so many emotions. I’m so excited for him and he seriously loves it so much. I love it for him too, but its also really tugging at my momma heart strings. This feels so grown up. Time moves so fast. Someone bring me a Dr. Pepper.
- Speaking of Dr. Pepper – thats my drink now. I don’t know how it happened, but I now favor DP over Diet Coke (but don’t get me wrong, i still love Diet Coke with all my heart).
- I am really motivated to make December special. The focus of Christmas time should always be Christ, but so often, I lose sight of that due to all the festivities and fun. I want to make a conscious effort to really make sure I am focused every day of December. I want to be very Christ-centered, come December.
Hi October, I’d just like to personally thank you for being such a nice month. Not perfect, but nice. Thank you for starting off my favorite time of the year (Oct, Nov, Dec) perfectly. Heres to you.
- General Conference was at the beginning of the month and I’m quite personally still on a high from it. There were so many talks that really resonated with me. It was so motivating and exciting. I’m so grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints.
- We took our October Disneyland trip and it was everything. It was refreshing, busy, happy and lovely. We went to Mickey’s Halloween Party (and got lots of compliments on our costumes), we ate delicious treats and food and made lots of new memories. I know I always talk about memories made in Disneyland, but I think its because some of my favorite, most treasured memories happen within the boundaries of a Disney Park, so I’m always so happy to add some new ones to my heap of happy memories.
- I’m being very brave putting this under the ‘good’ category. I hope I don’t jinx us. But we started sleep/crib training for real with E (yes, i know – about time!) and…its going so, so well. Like, what? We are still only at the beginning but so far, so, so good. Wow.
- Halloween was fun. Well, E didn’t think so, but H loved it once the candy started flowing. He got spoiled, thats for sure. I think its safe to say he prefers trick-or-treating in Disneyland, though. While we were trick or treating he kept asking if we could go on ‘Buzz Ride!’ Oh, I love him.
- We are ended the month with colds, fevers and achey bodies. Great.
- I had high hopes of being a fun mom this month. I was, but I also wasn’t. We had several plans that didn’t end up happening and I feel guilty about that. My boys love getting out of the house and doing fun things. I was so eager to get them out and have some fun. We did – just not as much as I would have liked to. Hopefully in November we can change that.
ON MY BRAIN
- Craig’s grandma passed away this month. Thats always hard, but always causes me to think a lot about what I believe and how grateful I am for the knowledge that there is life after death and we can see each other again. I always think of the line from a primary song, “families can be together forever through Heavenly Father’s plan.”
- My opinion has changed a lot lately about Twitter. I’m not as hooked on it as I once was. Earlier I’d sworn it off. But that was short lived. I’m back on it, just a lot less frequently and if I miss a few days or peoples tweets, I’m just fine.
- H had a few speech screenings in October and his second to last appointment with his speech therapist that has been coming into our home that we LOVE! Its bittersweet. We are going to terribly miss her. She has progressed H so far in his speech journey. He is doing things that a few months ago seemed like he may never do. I’m so proud of him. We are excited to see him in the next phase of this though. In November he’ll be starting a special speech class and some more speech therapy that we have high hopes for.
- My kids are almost 3 and 1. HOW?????
- Wild Man went out of town for a few days and I’m very proud to say that I was able to parent alone for a few days with no real hiccups. I knew I could do it, but I was very nervous about night time. I am a chicken and a worrier, so its a scary combo. But we survived!
August was another simple month. It was relaxing and full of sleep deprivation. We saw lots of family from out of state and we spent a lot of quality time together as our family of four. We made exciting future plans and we set new goals. It was a good month, but I’m totally fine seeing it go. We all know with August behind us that means we are that much closer to full-fledged Fall and I live for that.
- I have to start this post off with this one – the Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again soundtrack. Oh my gosh. How did the world even thrive before we were gifted with such greatness? Its all I ever want to listen to.
- Our Halloween costumes are finally figured out! I’m not sharing what we’re going to be yet, but I’m really, really excited for it. As usual, we’re all from the same (Disney) movie and we, the boys especially, are going to look awesome. I can’t wait! I’ll likely ‘debut’ the costumes when we go to Mickey’s Halloween Party in Disneyland a couple weeks before Halloween.
- Thanks to a wonderful sister-in-laws advice, I’ve fully committed to getting back into scrapbooking again and its given me life. I have dabbled in it here and there, but I never made it a priority. But now its something I find myself itching to do whenever I have spare time. Its been a lot of fun documenting the important, and also simple moments in our family and in my sons lives.
- I got really lucky with lots of new clients this month! I feel so lucky when people trust me with their lashes, skin, etc. I don’t feel like a lot of people in the beauty industry can say this, but my clients are my friends too! I feel like during their appointments we get to connect and bond and learn more about each other and its a real joy.
- To sort of go along with that last bullet point, one of my new clients is a wonderful woman I’m doing a trade with. She gets whatever she wants done in the spa and I get a 60-90 minute massage! Uh yeah, its heaven. I can already tell my body is benefiting from this.
- E got a double ear infection. Its so sad to see your little one hurting, and he was in a lot of pain and it broke my heart to see. We got him on an antibiotic after visiting the instacare and it went away pretty quickly, thankfully. Now hopefully we can be healthy again for a while.
- Speaking of E.. the dude hates food and its starting to stress me out. He’d nurse 24/7 if I let him, but when it comes to actual food being fed to him, that gets a big nope. Just recently he’s decided he’s ok with finger foods he can feed himself, but whenever I try to shovel food into his mouth his lips are sealed. He had his nine month doctor appointment not very long ago and they didn’t seem to think that was a big concern yet, but I still worry about it. Just eat little boy!!
- Ok, one more thing about E on here (haha poor kid) – he has slept sooooooo bad lately. Which also means I have slept sooooooo bad lately. I do ok without good sleep a few nights here and there, but when its this constant I really start to struggle. Its starting to all catch up to me and I don’t feel right. I’ve had lots of headaches, I’m lazy, I’m not as fun of a mom, etc. Please send good sleeping vibes my way, and if you have any profound ideas on how to get this little person to sleep most the night again, please let me know!
ON MY BRAIN
- Kindness has been on my mind a lot lately. Mostly, why can’t we all be more kind to each other? I was talking to my sister-in-law about this and I think she said it perfectly, “shouldn’t we be lifting each other up and hoping for the best?” Yes, yes we should. Can we just make it a universal goal to boost each other up instead of dragging them down? Sometimes some mean opinions or thoughts should be kept to ourselves. Sometimes its best to bite your tongue. Just be kind. Everyone. Please.
- I’m not sure why, but my babies as newborns have been on my mind a lot lately. I keep on thinking about that time in the hospital when they are still so fresh. That is such an incredible feeling. I don’t imagine I’ll ever tire of that. I’ve been looking at lots and lots of pictures of my boys when they were newborns, too. Oh my gosh. Tiny, precious little humans.
- I got my first real scare watching my child do something brave this month. We went boating with some of Wild Mans family. We have done this before and H will hop out on the tube with some of his cousins. They ride this big wide tube that is really tricky to fall off of. Well wouldn’t you know it, H managed to fall off. It scared the crap out of me. Thats my little two year-old buddy just out there in the middle of the lake!! Thankfully another one of his cousins fell off with him so he wasn’t all alone, but it still made my heart race. I knew he was fine, I knew his lifejacket worked, but that didn’t stop the panic. This is just the first of many of these moments and scares, I know.. Oh geez. I’m already nervous. Bring on the ulcers.
- I don’t care what anyone else says, if you ask me, September is the beginning of Fall. I’m beyond excited. I’m over Summer. I’ll miss the pool, but I’ll see it again next year. I’m ready for the autumn smells, food, clothes, leaves, traditions, just all of it. Come on Fall, I’m so stinkin’ excited for you honey.
If I’m being honest, I usually don’t have a great attitude about July. Its just hot, hot, hot. I love the summer, but once mid to end July hits, I’m ready for Fall. I don’t know why it isn’t my favorite month usually, its just not. But I will say, having a kid who really enjoys hot summer days has made my attitude about July change. It was a good month. Nothing big, but we found some joy in every day. So lets get into this, shall we?
- Wild Mans sister and her family live in Mexico, but they’re in town right now for a few weeks and it has been so, so much fun!
- To go along with that top bullet point, our kids are lucky to be around their cousins frequently, but this month I feel like we have had even more cousin time than normal and we are loving it.
- I’m in my groove when it comes to exercising finally and it feels amazing. I am proud of myself and I’m not even ashamed to say that. I haven’t missed a day in months now and dare I say it, I think I’m at that point now where I look forward to exercising. I have figured out that I can’t schedule a set workout time – I don’t work that way – but I do pretty well to workout when my boys have full bellies and a tv show or a movie on. Its really fun when H joins in with me too. Wild Man has always been vigilant with his workouts. He never misses, he takes it seriously and he goes hard and his body shows it. I’m glad that my kids have him as a healthy living role model – but I’m actually really excited thinking about how I am being a healthy living example, as well!
- Disneyland celebrated its 63rd birthday in July. Its just really cool to me. Sixty-three years of magic that doesn’t compare to anything else. I ask this a lot, but seriously, can you imagine a world without Disney?? Thank goodness we don’t have to live in that reality.
- Remember how I just said I’m doing awesome on exercise? Yeah, not so much with eating though. I like to refer to myself as a garbage can, because sometimes thats exactly what I am. I have some high hopes and goals for August as far as eating goes. Lets all cross our fingers and hope for my own health that I can stick to them.
- We had one day in July that just really sucked. Both my boys kept getting hurt over and over, and they weren’t necessarily small injuries! The day ended with my sweet H playing by a creek with his dad, lifting a huge branch and hundreds of wasps coming out from under it and literally attacking him. It was such a freaky, sad sight to see. They swarmed him and we counted 19 stings. (Wild Man somehow only managed 2 or 3) Ugh. It was the worst and so sad. I think H has full on PTSD from it and his already intense fear of bees/wasps has grown 10,000%.
ON MY BRAIN
- My family was gone for most of July on my youngest sisters 16th birthday trip. They went to Paris, London and Scotland and it sounded like a dream vacation. One of their stops was Disneyland Paris (i wasn’t jealous at all) and I still find myself marveling over the pictures they took there. Its amazing. I’m hoping my sister will do a guest post for me sometime soon to talk about Disneyland Paris and compare it to Disneyland in California. Stay tuned for that!
- My husbands cousins wife has been on my mind so much this month. In the beginning of July she had an unexpected, huge heart attack. She is currently in a coma. She is a mother to seven. I just have so many thoughts and feelings about this. My heart hurts for this sweet family. Its one of those things that make me want to make sure I’m not taking any day for granted. You never know whats around the corner. If you’d care to donate to Ream and her family, here is a link.
- There has been a lot of talk about breastfeeding on social media lately. More specifically, breast feeding in public. Seeing as I’m currently a breastfeeding mother, I have some thoughts on this. It makes me sad that women are being shamed for feeding their babies in public. Covered or not, I honestly don’t think its a big deal. I personally cover up, only because I’m not brave enough to do so without covering. Honestly, I admire the women who don’t cover up. That takes guts and I wish I could be that brave sometimes. E doesn’t eat very well when he has a blanket over his head, and it gets hot in there for both him and me! I see the appeal of being uncovered for sure. I also hate when you hear that breastfeeding is becoming sexualized. I do think there are some times and places when you shouldn’t be breastfeeding uncovered… but for the most part, I am in support and it makes me sad that there are women out there feeding their children – LIKE BREASTS WERE MADE FOR – and are getting dirty looks and unkind comments.