I don’t know what’s going on with me. I never thought the day would come that I’d tell you I’m sad summer will be coming to an end soon-ish. I’ve been alive nearly 29 years and each of those years, I have spent my summer wishing for fall.
But let’s get one thing straight. I LOVE FALL. Fall is 100% my favorite season and all things about it are so good. Long live fall – I’ll love you forever.
HOWEVER, this year I’m not in quite as much of a rush for the next season and its weirding me out! I’ve stated it several times on my blog and social media pages: I’m loving summer 2019! My boys and I are having the greatest time spending so many hours outdoors, then graciously enjoying the air conditioning indoors. This is the first summer ever that I’m not longing for tomorrow, knowing we’ll be one step closer to fall.
Summer can take its time this year. I’m in no hurry for change.
Our Independence Day was just wonderful. It was simple, quiet and so, so happy and exactly what we needed. You know how somedays you just realize how badly you need a small break from reality? I think Craig and I were both definitely at that point, so having a day dedicated to fun and family was exactly what we both longed for.
We spent the morning at home not doing much special. Then we headed over to my families house where we had a barbecue and swam for several hours (i think it should be our new family rule that we must swim on 4th of july), and caught up with my mom and sister who had spent the last few days in Disney World with some friends – lucky.
Next, we packed up our van and drove up to Craig’s parents cabin up north. There, we had dinner, went 4-wheeling (my favorite), spent time outside, watched the fireworks from up in the mountain which was really neat, then we spent the night! The next morning we had a delicious breakfast, did some more 4-wheeling (still my favorite), then went back home.
It was just the best. It was revitalizing and exciting and best of all, a bunch of time with my sweet family and our extended families.
I hope you all had a wonderful Fourth of July, as well!! You all deserve it.
I am all about the summer this year and nothing screams summer to me more than the month of July. For our first day of July, I let H choose our activities and at first he declared that we would be going to our local reservoir. But then he quickly changed his mind and decided that we’d be going to the local splash pad, instead, which was a decision I was quite happy with because going to the splash pad is a little less work than going to the reservoir. We asked one of my sisters (because the other is out of town) if she wanted to join us, then we went and picked her up and headed off to the splash pad and it really was so much fun. We ended up spending way more time there than we intended to, but that made it even more memorable and special to me. Turns out E is not a huge fan of the splash pad, he was much happier to sit on the towel in the shade with my sister. But H on the other hand, is all about that splash pad life. He was having the greatest time making new friends and just further proving that he’s got the biggest, sweetest heart – he was helping kids when they fell, returning toys that washed away and helping babies navigate their way through the water. I love that sweet boy.
After the splash pad we decided we couldn’t get enough of the water and finished our evening off at my parents pool! We spent a few hours there and as I’m typing this post up, everyone is in bed and I’m hoping we have a wonderful, peaceful night and may even dabble in sleeping in!!
Happy July, everyone!! Be safe and have loads of fun.
I have never been one to wish for warm weather. Growing up I tended to wish Summer away, because I was all about Winter. My birthday is in the winter and so is Christmas, so I was basically just spending my time wishing it was December. Even as I got older, though I loved Summer, I wasn’t heartbroken when it left and I wasn’t losing my mind waiting for it to approach.
Until I had kids. Summer is so much fun with kids! When the weather allows us to (Utah’s weather has been psycho!), we have spent so, so much time outside and its always the highlight of our day. We go on lots of walks, visit parks, swim at my parents pool, play in our backyard, you know – all that good stuff. Its been heaven on earth. Everything is just a little bit better outside. My house has greatly suffered because I’ve been shirking all responsibility days in a row because outside with the boys is so much more fun!
I’m so glad the warm weather is *mostly* here, now I just hope its here to stay and takes its own sweet time before it fades away again until next year.
Fall is finally officially here and I couldn’t be more overjoyed. But I have to admit, as I look back at Summer I have to confess it was a really great season with some really great moments and memories. We spent a lot of time swimming in my parents pool, spending time in the mountains, playing in our yard with our new puppy and going on evening walks together as a family – something that has become something H eagerly looks forward to daily.
It was both busy and relaxing with some big, fun trips and a lot of days spent in the comfort of our cozy home. It was chaotic at times and it was blissful at times. I discovered – or at least came to terms with – the fact that I think I’m battling some crappy anxiety again and the closer I get to delivery the worse it gets. Is pre-partum anxiety a thing?
H grew up a ton. He’s learned a lot more words, is able to correctly identify lots of various things, is so observant, curious and a little baby genius. Our baby has grown healthily and what seems like really quickly. I feel like our family has grown a lot. We have somehow got even closer to one another.
We have been killing our daily prayer and scripture study, we have turned a new page and have a newfound determination to make church really count and make a conscious effort to stay all three hours (it definitely helps that H is in nursery now). Its just been a great couple months, even when it was so hot outside I wanted to cry and hideaway in our freezing basement.
But you better believe I’m so dang ready for Fall and all the celebrations, big events, holidays and traditions it brings. As I’m typing this I am wearing slippers and a hoodie! Do you even understand how excited this makes me? Fall is the best – don’t even try to fight me on this.
Summer, you were a good one. Thanks for all the memories.
June was so good to me. It was busy and a little overwhelming and stressful, but what month isn’t?
- We found out this baby is a BOY! I always said I was fine with a boy or girl, but after we saw that he was a boy I felt so relieved I guess? I think I secretly hoped it was a boy. A brother for H sounds so exciting and fun and I really can’t wait to watch these two grow up together.
- Wild Man had his birthday and we had his annual big pool party at my parents which was a blast. The weather was great, the company was lovely and I always love when people celebrate Wild Man because he really is one of the best, most selfless, friendly people that deserves love and attention.
- We got a puppy! She’s a black lab that is keeping us busy and also driving us a little bit crazy, but we have high hopes for her and are excited that we finally got our family pet!
- H has his molars and it has opened up a whole new world for us. I trust him so much more with food that scared me to give him a month ago and he is loving not having to chew with his front teeth anymore.
- We started up Mom and Baby Swim Parties again for the summer! This is where a bunch of my friends and their babies come to my parents pool. We swim, eat snacks. socialize (and in last weeks case get crazy sunburned) and its really fun and something I really look forward to. The kids have fun but I think its especially great for the moms.
- I’ve been feeling quite a bit more healthy this month! I’m still sick and throwing up, but I feel like its a lot more manageable and I’ve got some more of my energy back so I’m acting a little more human and its incredible.
- H has figured out the beauty of sleeping in. I’m not sure if I’ve ever been more proud of my boy.
- My grandparents from Idaho came down for a quick visit and we had a little reunion/surprise birthday party for my grandpa at my parents pool and it was so much fun. It lasted all day and every second was so enjoyable.
- H got his first haircut. If it even counts as a haircut. He just had a few spots that grow a lot quicker than other spots, but it made such a big difference and he was SO good during the process!
- H had his first wake-up-covered-in-his-own-poop experience. I’ll spare you details. Just know it was gross and I’d really be ok if we wait a long time before that happens again.
- We got a puppy! I mean, its not bad that we got a puppy but its just…hard. She bites everything all. the. time. And her favorite thing to bite is H – NOT ok! She’s actually caught on to potty training, sleeping in her crate and doesn’t bark very often so thats really nice. But ohhhhhhh the biting. Also sometimes I wonder why I thought it’d be so easy to take on a one year old, a puppy and be pregnant.
- My sciatic pain and hip and back pain have suddenly gone from bad to worse. I hobble like a little old lady and the shooting pain that I get is so terrible. I went to the chiropractor and thankfully had a few days of sweet relief. I can’t wait to go back.
ON MY BRAIN
- I am so glad that I have clients that come to my spa that recognize that I’m a mom and a sick pregnant lady so when I have to reschedule they are so understanding and patient with me. I try not to do it often, but when I do I’ve been met with kindness 99.9% of the time and I’m so thankful for this. People are good.
- I recently found a girl I kind of knew growing up on social media and started following her and then had to stop very soon after. She was so awful and it made me sad. Nearly everything on her social media pages were her bashing on women for their success, claiming they didn’t do anything to deserve it, dragging them down because of their looks and stuff like that. I don’t actually want to get it on it because it kind of infuriates me but it just made me sad! I so wish people could just be happy for other people! Can you even imagine how much kinder the world would be if we were happy for people and their success? If someone is doing what makes them happy we should respect that and be happy for them – not tear them down.
- A few days ago H had my phone and someone sent my Relief Society President the emoji of a hand flipping the bird. Luckily she thought it was a pointer finger – but I can’t quit thinking about how awkward that was.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout has still not been ridden by me in California Adventure and this is a tragedy. I think about this multiple times a day.
- What did I wear last time I was pregnant because I hate everything I put on my body right now. I need a new wardrobe, stat. If you have great maternity clothing suggestions PLEASE send them my way.
- I’m getting a Prenatal Massage soon and all I’m saying is it better live up to my high expectations I have for it. I have been dreaming of this since the day I found out I was pregnant. So no pressure to whoever my massage therapist is.
In Utah, the 24th of July is a holiday and a big deal. This year we celebrated by going with Wild Man’s family to beautiful Lake Powell. We stayed in a house boat in a perfect location and spent the whole week boating, swimming, relaxing and sweating a whole bunch (Lake Powell’s heat is no joke). It was a perfect week and such a fun getaway. There is something so cleansing about being away from your phone for a whole week and leaving all your cares and worries back at home. However I’ve got to say, there is no greater feeling than coming home from a vacation, taking a shower/bath in your own tub thats not lake water and then sleeping in your own big, comfy bed. Unfortunately throughout the week most of our crew (32 people!) got a nasty flu bug that wiped us out for 24-ish hours (but yay H managed to escape it!) but other than that, it couldn’t have been a better week. I loved spending time with family and relaxing in such a wonderful, beautiful place. I highly recommend Lake Powell.