Five years ago today Wild Man asked me to marry him. I wrote about how he popped the question last year which you can read here if you’re interested. I don’t know if its weird to really celebrate the day that you got engaged, but I like to. Its not like we have a full on celebration – heck we hardly do anything special for our wedding anniversaries, typically, but I still like to talk about it. Because saying yes to marrying someone and agreeing to being sealed to them for time and ALL eternity (if you’re LDS) is a really big, life changing deal!
I have always been a hopeless romanic. I’m actually a little embarrassed about it because I was so pathetically in love with the ideal of being in love and in a forever love that people were probably so annoyed with me. The hopeless romantic stuff has changed since getting married because its no longer something I am wishing for and dreaming about – I’m living it! But as dorky and cliche as it sounds, I never could have imagined a marriage like the one I have. It really is so good. Better than I could have ever written about when I would write imaginary blog/journal posts about my imaginary marriage (heck yes i was that girl).
Wild Man and I have built a really solid marriage. We are coming up on 5 years of marriage now and 6 years of knowing each other and I’m actually really proud of us. We have a really good thing going and I feel like its only going up, even when there are rocky days and hard times. Every week we try and assess our life, our communication, our mental health and wellbeing and it immensely helps us grow as a partnership. We are able to resolve disagreements quickly, I feel like we genuinely are good at hearing the other person out and respecting the others opinions and compromising. We have an amazing, happy relationship and in result we have an amazing, happy marriage.
*of course it is not perfect – i’m not trying to imply that – we are far from perfect, i’m just focusing on the good stuff right now because anniversary!*
We have one sweet, sweet son who is 20 months old and our greatest accomplishment and biggest source of joy. He has brought us even closer together. He’s challenged us in ways nothing else could have and its helped us strengthen our marriage. I am pregnant with our second child and I know that this little boy will do the same thing for our marriage and teach us things as a couple that only he could do. I’m excited to face it all head-on with Wild Man.
I’m so grateful for Wild Man. I honestly wouldn’t be who I am if I didn’t know him and have his constant example and support in my life. I’m thankful that he took a chance on his weird stalker (haha because thats basically what i was – seriously!) and that he liked me enough to put a ring on my finger! He’s an amazing man with a heart of gold and the biggest most selfless, caring person I know. I’m the luckiest girl in the world to be married to him.
Happy Engaged-iversary, Wild Man! I love you to infinity and beyond.
June was so good to me. It was busy and a little overwhelming and stressful, but what month isn’t?
- We found out this baby is a BOY! I always said I was fine with a boy or girl, but after we saw that he was a boy I felt so relieved I guess? I think I secretly hoped it was a boy. A brother for H sounds so exciting and fun and I really can’t wait to watch these two grow up together.
- Wild Man had his birthday and we had his annual big pool party at my parents which was a blast. The weather was great, the company was lovely and I always love when people celebrate Wild Man because he really is one of the best, most selfless, friendly people that deserves love and attention.
- We got a puppy! She’s a black lab that is keeping us busy and also driving us a little bit crazy, but we have high hopes for her and are excited that we finally got our family pet!
- H has his molars and it has opened up a whole new world for us. I trust him so much more with food that scared me to give him a month ago and he is loving not having to chew with his front teeth anymore.
- We started up Mom and Baby Swim Parties again for the summer! This is where a bunch of my friends and their babies come to my parents pool. We swim, eat snacks. socialize (and in last weeks case get crazy sunburned) and its really fun and something I really look forward to. The kids have fun but I think its especially great for the moms.
- I’ve been feeling quite a bit more healthy this month! I’m still sick and throwing up, but I feel like its a lot more manageable and I’ve got some more of my energy back so I’m acting a little more human and its incredible.
- H has figured out the beauty of sleeping in. I’m not sure if I’ve ever been more proud of my boy.
- My grandparents from Idaho came down for a quick visit and we had a little reunion/surprise birthday party for my grandpa at my parents pool and it was so much fun. It lasted all day and every second was so enjoyable.
- H got his first haircut. If it even counts as a haircut. He just had a few spots that grow a lot quicker than other spots, but it made such a big difference and he was SO good during the process!
- H had his first wake-up-covered-in-his-own-poop experience. I’ll spare you details. Just know it was gross and I’d really be ok if we wait a long time before that happens again.
- We got a puppy! I mean, its not bad that we got a puppy but its just…hard. She bites everything all. the. time. And her favorite thing to bite is H – NOT ok! She’s actually caught on to potty training, sleeping in her crate and doesn’t bark very often so thats really nice. But ohhhhhhh the biting. Also sometimes I wonder why I thought it’d be so easy to take on a one year old, a puppy and be pregnant.
- My sciatic pain and hip and back pain have suddenly gone from bad to worse. I hobble like a little old lady and the shooting pain that I get is so terrible. I went to the chiropractor and thankfully had a few days of sweet relief. I can’t wait to go back.
ON MY BRAIN
- I am so glad that I have clients that come to my spa that recognize that I’m a mom and a sick pregnant lady so when I have to reschedule they are so understanding and patient with me. I try not to do it often, but when I do I’ve been met with kindness 99.9% of the time and I’m so thankful for this. People are good.
- I recently found a girl I kind of knew growing up on social media and started following her and then had to stop very soon after. She was so awful and it made me sad. Nearly everything on her social media pages were her bashing on women for their success, claiming they didn’t do anything to deserve it, dragging them down because of their looks and stuff like that. I don’t actually want to get it on it because it kind of infuriates me but it just made me sad! I so wish people could just be happy for other people! Can you even imagine how much kinder the world would be if we were happy for people and their success? If someone is doing what makes them happy we should respect that and be happy for them – not tear them down.
- A few days ago H had my phone and someone sent my Relief Society President the emoji of a hand flipping the bird. Luckily she thought it was a pointer finger – but I can’t quit thinking about how awkward that was.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout has still not been ridden by me in California Adventure and this is a tragedy. I think about this multiple times a day.
- What did I wear last time I was pregnant because I hate everything I put on my body right now. I need a new wardrobe, stat. If you have great maternity clothing suggestions PLEASE send them my way.
- I’m getting a Prenatal Massage soon and all I’m saying is it better live up to my high expectations I have for it. I have been dreaming of this since the day I found out I was pregnant. So no pressure to whoever my massage therapist is.
Yesterday was my darling husbands birthday! It was such a fun day and was surprisingly relaxing and rejuvenating. Wild Man is truly the greatest man ever. I have never met a more selfless, helpful person. Without fail he is always putting others and their happiness first. He is the first to offer assistance and he genuinely loves helping people and easing their burdens and lightening loads in any way he can – and it makes me so proud of him. He’s incredible. He makes me laugh harder than anyone else can and the happiness he makes me feel is amazing. He reminds me every day that I am special, valued and worth something. He is a phenomenal husband. So many women talk about how their husbands aren’t helpful around the house, how they’re lazy and whatever…but I always feel so lucky because Wild Man really isn’t that way. Especially as I have been sick with this pregnancy, he has been amazing in taking over some housework that I’ve neglected. He does laundry, dishes and knows where everything goes in the house. I don’t know what I did to get such a handy, helpful guy but boy am I lucky! And I can’t go without saying how much I love that he’s fully embraced my Disney lifestyle and has even taken it upon himself and he really does love love love Disney now too! I married an amazing man and I’m so glad that yesterday was a day to celebrate him, his birth and his wonderful existence in the world.
For his birthday we have always had a pool party at my parents pool with his family, my family and close friends. Its one of the things I look forward to the most every year. Last nights pool party was another success!
Two years ago when we announced H’s gender, we did it at Wild Man’s pool party and pulled a boy swimming suit out of a gift bag. So we decided to do the exact same reveal this year since it was ironically working out the very same with timing and everything. Its always so exciting to tell friends and family what our baby is! It makes things feel a lot more real somehow.
ITS A BOY!!!!!!
We are THRILLED to have a little brother in a few more months! I cannot wait to see H and this little guy grow up as best friends. As soon as our ultrasound reveled that he was a boy my heart nearly burst with excitement for us, but especially for H. Oh I love my boys!
See this picture? This (high quality) photograph is a pretty perfect depiction of my life since March.
My morning sickness started kicking in pretty intensely at about 5 weeks for me and if I remember correctly, thats about when it came in when I was pregnant with H as well. I really don’t like complaining about pregnancy stuff because I know there are some women out there who would give up everything to feel the way I feel. I was an only child for 8 years and watched my mom wish for another baby. I have friends who had to wait a really long time to get their baby and some who are still waiting. I totally understand how lucky I am to be pregnant with my second child right now. I don’t take this experience for granted and although I do complain occasionally, I hope its not mistaken as me not being happy about growing a baby or being able to physically grow a child.
But sometimes it feels good to complain a little, am I right? I’ve been losing weight, I throw up several times a day, I live in constant fear that I’ll be diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes again, I have no energy or motivation, I’m so dang tired and I just don’t feel like myself yet. I remember there came a time during my pregnancy with H sometime during my second trimester that I eventually figured out how to force myself to be productive and be a functioning human being again and I’m really hoping now that I’m in my second trimester I can figure that out again, soon.
I’m so grateful for my husband and for the patience he has had. He went from having a good wife who did all the housewife jazz to a wife who lays on the couch and forgets grocery shopping and meal planning all together most weeks. He has been the dish-doer, the laundry guy and the person who straightens up our house and he hasn’t complained or made me feel bad or guilty about it once. I mean, I still do feel guilty about it, but its just because of my own thoughts. I married a real good man and I hope he knows that I’ll be back at my wife duties soon (fingers crossed)!
I also have to talk about what an angel H has been. His mom is BORING right now you guys. I can’t tell you how guilty I feel about this subject. H is a wiggly, active, energetic little boy who just wants to play and to be played with. Yet his mom is usually gross on the couch and is turning on yet another Disney movie for him. But he has rolled with this change so effortlessly and so easily and I couldn’t be more thankful for it. He plays happily by himself on the floor but still makes sure to crawl up on the couch with me from time to time to cuddle and give kisses. He’s been a dream boy through this. Lately I have been able to get down and play with him a little more often and I hope it just keeps getting better because you can just tell how much he loves it! But I’m also really glad that he knows how to play alone and self-entertain when he needs to. I have an amazing little boy.
So anyway. Life is weird right now. I’m lazy and sick and tired and gross. But I’m really grateful that I get to have another sweet baby and that our family is going to grow. Every second, no matter how barfy, is worth it in the end.
And I end this post with a picture of my family this past Sunday – a rare occasion when I actually got ready.
I can’t remember if it was right before or right after I got married, but I do remember having a conversation with one of my sisters in law and she had mentioned that she believed wives never show enough gratitude for all their husbands do for them and their families. Even though I felt like I knew Wild Man really well and knew the sacrifices he made and hard work he put into things I never really forgot her saying this.
We have been married for over four years now and I still have that phrase run through my mind pretty regularly and the more I think about it, the more I, too, believe it. Wild Man, from the second I met him, has been one of the most selfless individuals I’ve ever known. Very rarely does he put himself first, and when he does its only because I had to talk him into it. He is so concerned about the happiness and well-being of others that he will bend over backwards one thousand times in order to help lighten someones load, make their lives a little easier and leave a smile on their face.
Being his wife, I feel like I get extra special treatment from him. I have seen him work so hard and put countless hours into something I mentioned I’d like or want done around the house in passing. He makes my dreams a reality and he does so without having to be asked and without hesitation. If he knows something is on my mind he takes the time out of his busy day to sit with me and talk it out. If he knows I have had a busy or stressful day and didn’t get all I wanted to done around the house, when he gets home from work (after having a busy, tiring day himself) before he does anything for himself he does the housework I wasn’t able to get to. He always thanks me for what I do with our son, the house, our family, etc. Then there is his relationship with H. Since bringing H into this world, Wild Man has made so many big life changes, has made some hard decisions and has taken on a lot – all for the benefit of our family and the security and well-being of our son and future children. Every single night I’m shocked that with everything Wild Man on his plate he always makes the time to spend quality time with his son. Its not just throwing a ball here and there and giving him the occasional kiss on the cheek – he spends real, quality time with H. He gets down on the floor and plays with all his toys, helps him work on his new tricks, reads books to him, watches shows with him, feeds him and so much more. As cliche as it sounds, there is honestly no time when Wild Man looks more attractive to me than when he is being a hands on father.
There is so, so much more he does out of the goodness of his big, kind heart for us and I really am very grateful. But I definitely don’t express my gratitude to him near enough. Women get a lot of credit for all they do, but why do the men get passed up? I am hoping this year to make sure I change this. Wild Man is freaking awesome. He does everything and goes above and beyond and without him I’d be an anxious mess and the house and our family life would be a disaster. He truly is my rock, my sanity and my best friend and I AM SO THANKFUL FOR HIM. I know typing that in caps and making it bold is an insanely small gesture and is quite insignificant (will he even read this post? who knows) but I am going to do better at making sure he never forgets how valued he is in our family and how fortunate H and I are to have him at the head of our household.
Thanks, Wild Man for being you. For loving us. And for being the greatest example. Love you!
I wanted my last post of 2016 to be something really cool. You know, go out with a bang type post. I thought about doing an in-depth review of my year, or the typical New Years Resolutions post. Then yesterday H and I went to the aquarium with my family and as I was watching him oo and aw at all the different fish I was hit pretty hard with the obvious realization that he was my whole year. 2016 was our first full calendar year with our little guy and it completely consumed us.
I think Wild Man and I changed a lot in 2016. We went from being 2015 people with no parenting experience or knowledge, to being these 2016 people who have this new little person in their lives that they’re completely obsessed with and want nothing but the best for. We changed the way we thought, the way we made decisions, the way we cleaned, decorated and organized, we changed our daily rituals, we changed our priorities and our hearts changed the very most. There is nothing quite as bonding as having a child together and working together the best you can to ensure that you’re sweet little one lives a good life. Its exciting and terrifying all in one, but there is nothing comparable to it and though its only been 13 months, its been the best 13 months I’ve ever lived. I turned into a different person this year (ok, last November) when I took on the title ‘mom’ and theres no greater joy to me.
Our family is small – just the three of us and in time it will grow, but I couldn’t help but think about what a great year its been with just our little crew. We have made so memories and we’ve all taught each other so much. I get real emotional thinking about the future as we add on more children, more memories, more lessons and more experiences – life is awesome! It has its downs, yes. Every year does and some are greater than others but I am feeling so fortunate to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints and to have faith in God’s plan for me and my family. I don’t know what 2017 has in store for our family but I’m excited (and as always, a little worried) to find out. As I say goodbye to such a nice, happy year I can’t help but thank 2016 for the great memories – and definitely for the entire year I’ve been able to spend with my husband and son. Those two fill my heart and bring me all the joy and happiness I could ever wish for and the more I think about it I know that as long as I have them, then my life – and 2017 – will be good.
Last night we had Wild Man’s work had a fun Christmas Party. There was yummy food, dessert, hot chocolate and a candy bar where you could take as much candy as you wanted (i’m set for a while on sugar now)! It was a fun evening out, but we always have a hard time leaving our sweet H – thats normal, right?
Since we don’t have a ton of reasons to get all festive this year (well, besides when I just feel like getting cute and festive) I wanted to document our outfits. I’ll be honest, when I heard the dress code was casual I was kind of bummed because I was looking forward to an excuse to get really done up. But maybe that opportunity will present itself later.
How awesome is Wild Man’s Ugly Christmas Sweater? He got it last year through the Disney Store and I believe it was an exclusive item. Its one of our favorite Christmas pieces we have. Since I couldn’t get all fancy I decided to finally break out my new Old Navy puffy vest. Its black and white plaid and so warm. I paired it with a plain red long sleeve thermal shirt and some black leggings and black wedges.
I’m so excited to see everyones Christmas-y outfits this season! Hopefully I can share a few more before January comes around.