Ok let’s talk about January. It was 31 days, right? Then why did it feel like 301? Why were me and my sons sick every single one of those days? How come my mental health was spiraling this month? Why was it so long and exhausting? I mean don’t get me wrong, there was good stuff in January too (thank goodness), but it was really an off month for us.
- Despite feeling like garbage every day, I stuck to my exercise goals pretty well this month. I didn’t really do a lot of resolutions this year and I’m determined to be easier on myself and show myself more love and kindness.. So yeah, I missed several days of exercise and I only stuck to my goal of no-more-caffeine for two days, but I’m still doing awesome when it comes to my health. I’m eating things that are good for me, but I’m also eating food that makes me happy. I’m drinking so much more water, but I’m also drinking a lot of Dr Pepper. I’m exercising most days of the week, but I’m not holding myself to any unachievable fitness goals. I feel good about this.
- E got tubes in his ears. This also was really sad because your 14 month old getting surgery is not super fun, but it’s good because now hopefully the constant ear pain and chronic ear infections will stop. It’s amazing, only a few hours after getting his tubes, he was already a happier kid. Being free from pain has made him so cheerful (even though he was pretty dang happy anyway) and I’m so grateful for it. Also, he’s totally a better walker now – isn’t that funny? I guess the ear pain was throwing his equilibrium off, so once it was gone, walking became so much easier to him!
- I don’t know what happened or how long it’ll last, but I have this new found motivation to organize every inch of my house. I love it and how fulfilling and gratifying it is.
- Snuggles. All the sickness has meant so. much. snuggling. and I am here for it. My boys are usually so wiggly and active, so I’ll take in all the cuddles I can get.
- Modern medicine is amazing, isn’t it? I’m so thankful for it. I’m also so thankful for doctors.
- H started Sunbeams! While I’m still in denial he’s three, it’s been so much fun to witness. The first week he was pretty devastated that he couldn’t go to Nursery, but now he’s cool with it. He loves his teacher (I do, too), he says his class has lots of friends and every single week after church he’s come up to me and told me that he loves Jesus and Jesus loves him. So it’s amazing.
- Did I mention we’ve been sick all month? Wild Man somehow got lucky and only just barely got sick, but me and the boys have been sick since Christmas and I’m over it. We’ve had bronchitis, pink eye, sinus infections, colds, sinus colds, double ear infections, terrible chronic coughs, ear surgery, a dislocated shoulder and have pretty much single handedly been keeping Kleenex in business.
- I was blind for a good portion of the month. My glasses mysteriously broke into 3 pieces at the same time I had pink eye. I couldn’t get new glasses because I didn’t have a current glasses prescription and I couldn’t go to the eye doctor because I had pink eye. I also couldn’t wear contacts because of pink eye. I wore Wild Mans glasses for a while but it made me feel dizzy and sick. Then a dear friend let me borrow her glasses that were a little bit of an improvement. A few days ago I finally got my new prescription and my new glasses will be ready soon! But just in case you didn’t know, being blind, especially when you’re a pretty blind human, is miserable.
- I’ve never really had winter blues. That is until this month happened. I’ve never felt so eager for summer before! I am a person who claims winter is my favorite month, so it’s a very alien feeling.
- December brought in a lot of family from out of state, and December brought their departures. Why do some family members have to live far away? Why can’t we snap our fingers and pop in to see them?
- H turned 3 in November. I keep hearing the term ‘threenager’ and haven’t understood. Until a couple weeks ago. Ohhhh my gosh. Whoever complains about ‘terrible twos’ have clearly not had a three year old yet. H has always been an easy kid, but now all the sudden he tests me every day. He has so much more attitude, he knows how capable he is of being independent and he looooves to hit *please picture my massive eye roll. I’m exhausted. He’s exhausting. Good thing he’s cute and can be a big sweetie, because there are some moments where I just want to hide.
- Come Follow Me (The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints new at home study material) is amazing and I am so on board with this. I love it and the concept of making home study so much more of a priority is incredible. So why the heck am I allowing myself to slack off a bit? Not a good way to start the year off. I’m still doing it and keeping up with the weekly materials, I just know I could be doing it so much more in depth.
ON MY BRAIN
- I need Disney in my life. Thank heavens we have trips right around the corner. Thank heavens for Disney, am I right?
- I’ve been serving in my wards Primary presidency for about a month now, and it’s been really incredible. It’s amazing to me how once you are sustained into a calling and you allow yourself to, you feel so connected to that position. My calling is fairly busy and I’m still figuring a lot of things out, but I’m really, really loving it. I serve with a group of amazing women and I’m confident this is where I’m supposed to be in the church right now.
- Have you ever thought about how weird pets are? No really. This has been on my mind so much lately. They’re just this animals we allow into our homes to stay, eat, sleep and play at for free. We don’t speak the same language and sometimes we bug the heck out of each other. I’ve spent a few late nights up by myself with Penny (our lab) and couldn’t stop thinking about how funny pets are. Does this make me sound crazy?
- I’m going to be a fun mom in February. No doubt about it, I was a lame mom this month. I already have our February bucket list in a prominent place and I’m ready to crush it.
Oh, hey! Long time, no talk. I decided to take a break from blogging in December. I had all these grand intentions of doing lots of fun, holiday themed posts during the month, but then I felt like ultimately it would be more meaningful and important for me to really be present in each day. It was a great month, but it also kind of kicked our butts. It stretched me, I slept less than I have in quite a while, both our boys were hardly ever feeling well it seemed like, I turned another year older, I learned a lot, I started planning for the new year and so on. I never thought I’d say this, but I won’t be completely heartbroken this time to see December go. I’m just ready for our schedule, our plans, my new goals and to start working on some changes.
- Christmas. Christmas was amazing, especially Christmas morning. Being with just our family of four was so magical. The boys had an amazing time, they were really into gift opening and were so happy about the things they received. It all felt so relaxing and special. I’m still on a high from that great morning.
- I was put in as our wards Primary Secretary this month! The last few months I have actually been feeling like a change would be coming to my calling. I felt like I was going to have something quite a bit more responsible, and I was actually really excited about that. I didn’t know what it would be, and honestly I didn’t think it’d be in the Primary Presidency, but when I was asked if I’d serve in that position I was honestly filled with so much excitement! The new Presidency I was put in with is really awesome and I’m just so excited to be able to hold this calling and serve the sweet young ones in our ward.
- All the family time this month was wonderful. Wild Man’s whole family was in town, my grandparents came into town and we saw family here in Utah that we don’t see nearly as often as we should. I looked forward to each one of these family get togethers.
- Wild Man nailed my birthday and Christmas. He’s always a very thoughtful gift-giver, but he really outdid himself this year. The gifts he gave me still make my heart flutter. I felt so understood and cared for and really excited!
- H started his special speech delay preschool in November and I’m so impressed by his improvement and its only been a month! He’s blown us away with all of his progress. He is a talking machine now and I feel like he’s getting easier and easier to understand every day! I’m so proud of him.
- E got another double ear infection. We can’t remember for sure, but we think this is his sixth or seventh since October! So we will be beginning the process of getting tubes in his ear in January. Ear infections are awful to witness. I’m so over them for him. I feel like he never really heals from them so he just keeps getting them. I’m so annoyed, but very anxious (and nervous) for him to get tubes. Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully this will take care of the problem.
- Was it the best month for my mental health? No. Was it the best month for my physical health? No.
- By the end of the month I had got pretty down on myself. I’m still trying to figure this out. Its just one of those times, you know? But that doesn’t make them any easier. It is hard. It makes easy daily tasks difficult. I’m in a rut. I’m excited to get out of it.
ON MY BRAIN
- I turned 28. Why does 28 basically seem like 30 to me? It feels like a big number to me, but I’m also pretty hopeful for what my year will bring me.
- Last year I hardcore got the winter blues and it was my first time. But this year (so far, at least) I don’t even have a hint of that, which makes me wonder if it wasn’t actually winter blues but if it was baby blues? I did have a one month old last December. I don’t know. But I keep thinking about that.
- I’m really excited to get into January. I’m making some changes and entering the new year differently than I usually enter a new year (i’ll do a post more about that later). I’m excited to finally give myself the opportunity to do things the way I want to, not the way I feel like I’m supposed to. It feels good to embrace who you are and be ok with your quirks and your ideas and opinions.
- I hope you all had a happy 2018. I hope your 2019 is amazing. Thank you for sticking around with me for another year. I really appreciate my readers and those of you who spend some time with me here. Love you all! Happy New Year!
Oh, November. Thanks for being you. I wasn’t sure what to expect with this month. I decided to be openminded and it all turned out really well. I think we were sick like…the whole month (still), so that was a downer, but as far as I can recall, the rest of the month was nice, simple and sweet.
- It was birthday month for our boys! Now we have a one-year old and a three-year old! Is it weird if I say they’ve already both grown up some since becoming one year older? Because I swear that they have. You guys, they are such good boys. I am a very, very lucky mama.
- We had Thanksgiving with Wild Man’s brother and his family, along with two of our sister-in-laws sisters and their families. It was a fun group, a delicious meal and a wonderful day.
- I am on top of the ball for Christmas gifts. Like guys. I’m basically done – and its not even December!! I’m so proud of myself. Things are going so well. There are still a few things to finish up here and there, but I’m basically done so I’ll be more able to just enjoy the holidays without the stress of wondering what I should get everyone on my list.
- On Thanksgiving we put up all our Christmas decorations and YAY!
- I really should probably get to the doctor, but I’ve been sick for a couple weeks now and it hasn’t improved. Its most likely a sinus infection. Its just the worst. Thats all.
- My oldest family dog died. That really sucked. I think we got him when I was 15-ish, and it feels like he’s been part of the family forever. He was a fat, happy little (but actually huge) shih tzu and he was so gentle, playful and sweet. His death was sudden and sad and we miss him lots. Dogs are family, so it stings pretty bad when you have to say goodbye to them.
ON MY BRAIN
- We had our six year wedding anniversary this month. Six years. Thats an achievement! That feels like so long but also just the beginning. I was thinking back to our first year of marriage and I’m amazed and also so grateful at far far we’ve come along. Our relationship has changed so much. We fit together even better than we did when we were first married. Life with him is good, these past six years have been incredible and I’m really excited to see what our future holds.
- Christmas shopping is hard this year. Usually I’m a fountain of ideas. This year is just not the case. But finally the ball started rolling and I’m doing ok with ideas now. Thanks for asking.
- H had his first day of school (i just barely did a post on this) and its giving me so many emotions. I’m so excited for him and he seriously loves it so much. I love it for him too, but its also really tugging at my momma heart strings. This feels so grown up. Time moves so fast. Someone bring me a Dr. Pepper.
- Speaking of Dr. Pepper – thats my drink now. I don’t know how it happened, but I now favor DP over Diet Coke (but don’t get me wrong, i still love Diet Coke with all my heart).
- I am really motivated to make December special. The focus of Christmas time should always be Christ, but so often, I lose sight of that due to all the festivities and fun. I want to make a conscious effort to really make sure I am focused every day of December. I want to be very Christ-centered, come December.
Hi October, I’d just like to personally thank you for being such a nice month. Not perfect, but nice. Thank you for starting off my favorite time of the year (Oct, Nov, Dec) perfectly. Heres to you.
- General Conference was at the beginning of the month and I’m quite personally still on a high from it. There were so many talks that really resonated with me. It was so motivating and exciting. I’m so grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints.
- We took our October Disneyland trip and it was everything. It was refreshing, busy, happy and lovely. We went to Mickey’s Halloween Party (and got lots of compliments on our costumes), we ate delicious treats and food and made lots of new memories. I know I always talk about memories made in Disneyland, but I think its because some of my favorite, most treasured memories happen within the boundaries of a Disney Park, so I’m always so happy to add some new ones to my heap of happy memories.
- I’m being very brave putting this under the ‘good’ category. I hope I don’t jinx us. But we started sleep/crib training for real with E (yes, i know – about time!) and…its going so, so well. Like, what? We are still only at the beginning but so far, so, so good. Wow.
- Halloween was fun. Well, E didn’t think so, but H loved it once the candy started flowing. He got spoiled, thats for sure. I think its safe to say he prefers trick-or-treating in Disneyland, though. While we were trick or treating he kept asking if we could go on ‘Buzz Ride!’ Oh, I love him.
- We are ended the month with colds, fevers and achey bodies. Great.
- I had high hopes of being a fun mom this month. I was, but I also wasn’t. We had several plans that didn’t end up happening and I feel guilty about that. My boys love getting out of the house and doing fun things. I was so eager to get them out and have some fun. We did – just not as much as I would have liked to. Hopefully in November we can change that.
ON MY BRAIN
- Craig’s grandma passed away this month. Thats always hard, but always causes me to think a lot about what I believe and how grateful I am for the knowledge that there is life after death and we can see each other again. I always think of the line from a primary song, “families can be together forever through Heavenly Father’s plan.”
- My opinion has changed a lot lately about Twitter. I’m not as hooked on it as I once was. Earlier I’d sworn it off. But that was short lived. I’m back on it, just a lot less frequently and if I miss a few days or peoples tweets, I’m just fine.
- H had a few speech screenings in October and his second to last appointment with his speech therapist that has been coming into our home that we LOVE! Its bittersweet. We are going to terribly miss her. She has progressed H so far in his speech journey. He is doing things that a few months ago seemed like he may never do. I’m so proud of him. We are excited to see him in the next phase of this though. In November he’ll be starting a special speech class and some more speech therapy that we have high hopes for.
- My kids are almost 3 and 1. HOW?????
- Wild Man went out of town for a few days and I’m very proud to say that I was able to parent alone for a few days with no real hiccups. I knew I could do it, but I was very nervous about night time. I am a chicken and a worrier, so its a scary combo. But we survived!
August was another simple month. It was relaxing and full of sleep deprivation. We saw lots of family from out of state and we spent a lot of quality time together as our family of four. We made exciting future plans and we set new goals. It was a good month, but I’m totally fine seeing it go. We all know with August behind us that means we are that much closer to full-fledged Fall and I live for that.
- I have to start this post off with this one – the Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again soundtrack. Oh my gosh. How did the world even thrive before we were gifted with such greatness? Its all I ever want to listen to.
- Our Halloween costumes are finally figured out! I’m not sharing what we’re going to be yet, but I’m really, really excited for it. As usual, we’re all from the same (Disney) movie and we, the boys especially, are going to look awesome. I can’t wait! I’ll likely ‘debut’ the costumes when we go to Mickey’s Halloween Party in Disneyland a couple weeks before Halloween.
- Thanks to a wonderful sister-in-laws advice, I’ve fully committed to getting back into scrapbooking again and its given me life. I have dabbled in it here and there, but I never made it a priority. But now its something I find myself itching to do whenever I have spare time. Its been a lot of fun documenting the important, and also simple moments in our family and in my sons lives.
- I got really lucky with lots of new clients this month! I feel so lucky when people trust me with their lashes, skin, etc. I don’t feel like a lot of people in the beauty industry can say this, but my clients are my friends too! I feel like during their appointments we get to connect and bond and learn more about each other and its a real joy.
- To sort of go along with that last bullet point, one of my new clients is a wonderful woman I’m doing a trade with. She gets whatever she wants done in the spa and I get a 60-90 minute massage! Uh yeah, its heaven. I can already tell my body is benefiting from this.
- E got a double ear infection. Its so sad to see your little one hurting, and he was in a lot of pain and it broke my heart to see. We got him on an antibiotic after visiting the instacare and it went away pretty quickly, thankfully. Now hopefully we can be healthy again for a while.
- Speaking of E.. the dude hates food and its starting to stress me out. He’d nurse 24/7 if I let him, but when it comes to actual food being fed to him, that gets a big nope. Just recently he’s decided he’s ok with finger foods he can feed himself, but whenever I try to shovel food into his mouth his lips are sealed. He had his nine month doctor appointment not very long ago and they didn’t seem to think that was a big concern yet, but I still worry about it. Just eat little boy!!
- Ok, one more thing about E on here (haha poor kid) – he has slept sooooooo bad lately. Which also means I have slept sooooooo bad lately. I do ok without good sleep a few nights here and there, but when its this constant I really start to struggle. Its starting to all catch up to me and I don’t feel right. I’ve had lots of headaches, I’m lazy, I’m not as fun of a mom, etc. Please send good sleeping vibes my way, and if you have any profound ideas on how to get this little person to sleep most the night again, please let me know!
ON MY BRAIN
- Kindness has been on my mind a lot lately. Mostly, why can’t we all be more kind to each other? I was talking to my sister-in-law about this and I think she said it perfectly, “shouldn’t we be lifting each other up and hoping for the best?” Yes, yes we should. Can we just make it a universal goal to boost each other up instead of dragging them down? Sometimes some mean opinions or thoughts should be kept to ourselves. Sometimes its best to bite your tongue. Just be kind. Everyone. Please.
- I’m not sure why, but my babies as newborns have been on my mind a lot lately. I keep on thinking about that time in the hospital when they are still so fresh. That is such an incredible feeling. I don’t imagine I’ll ever tire of that. I’ve been looking at lots and lots of pictures of my boys when they were newborns, too. Oh my gosh. Tiny, precious little humans.
- I got my first real scare watching my child do something brave this month. We went boating with some of Wild Mans family. We have done this before and H will hop out on the tube with some of his cousins. They ride this big wide tube that is really tricky to fall off of. Well wouldn’t you know it, H managed to fall off. It scared the crap out of me. Thats my little two year-old buddy just out there in the middle of the lake!! Thankfully another one of his cousins fell off with him so he wasn’t all alone, but it still made my heart race. I knew he was fine, I knew his lifejacket worked, but that didn’t stop the panic. This is just the first of many of these moments and scares, I know.. Oh geez. I’m already nervous. Bring on the ulcers.
- I don’t care what anyone else says, if you ask me, September is the beginning of Fall. I’m beyond excited. I’m over Summer. I’ll miss the pool, but I’ll see it again next year. I’m ready for the autumn smells, food, clothes, leaves, traditions, just all of it. Come on Fall, I’m so stinkin’ excited for you honey.