I have never been one to wish for warm weather. Growing up I tended to wish Summer away, because I was all about Winter. My birthday is in the winter and so is Christmas, so I was basically just spending my time wishing it was December. Even as I got older, though I loved Summer, I wasn’t heartbroken when it left and I wasn’t losing my mind waiting for it to approach.
Until I had kids. Summer is so much fun with kids! When the weather allows us to (Utah’s weather has been psycho!), we have spent so, so much time outside and its always the highlight of our day. We go on lots of walks, visit parks, swim at my parents pool, play in our backyard, you know – all that good stuff. Its been heaven on earth. Everything is just a little bit better outside. My house has greatly suffered because I’ve been shirking all responsibility days in a row because outside with the boys is so much more fun!
I’m so glad the warm weather is *mostly* here, now I just hope its here to stay and takes its own sweet time before it fades away again until next year.
Fall is finally officially here and I couldn’t be more overjoyed. But I have to admit, as I look back at Summer I have to confess it was a really great season with some really great moments and memories. We spent a lot of time swimming in my parents pool, spending time in the mountains, playing in our yard with our new puppy and going on evening walks together as a family – something that has become something H eagerly looks forward to daily.
It was both busy and relaxing with some big, fun trips and a lot of days spent in the comfort of our cozy home. It was chaotic at times and it was blissful at times. I discovered – or at least came to terms with – the fact that I think I’m battling some crappy anxiety again and the closer I get to delivery the worse it gets. Is pre-partum anxiety a thing?
H grew up a ton. He’s learned a lot more words, is able to correctly identify lots of various things, is so observant, curious and a little baby genius. Our baby has grown healthily and what seems like really quickly. I feel like our family has grown a lot. We have somehow got even closer to one another.
We have been killing our daily prayer and scripture study, we have turned a new page and have a newfound determination to make church really count and make a conscious effort to stay all three hours (it definitely helps that H is in nursery now). Its just been a great couple months, even when it was so hot outside I wanted to cry and hideaway in our freezing basement.
But you better believe I’m so dang ready for Fall and all the celebrations, big events, holidays and traditions it brings. As I’m typing this I am wearing slippers and a hoodie! Do you even understand how excited this makes me? Fall is the best – don’t even try to fight me on this.
Summer, you were a good one. Thanks for all the memories.
June was so good to me. It was busy and a little overwhelming and stressful, but what month isn’t?
- We found out this baby is a BOY! I always said I was fine with a boy or girl, but after we saw that he was a boy I felt so relieved I guess? I think I secretly hoped it was a boy. A brother for H sounds so exciting and fun and I really can’t wait to watch these two grow up together.
- Wild Man had his birthday and we had his annual big pool party at my parents which was a blast. The weather was great, the company was lovely and I always love when people celebrate Wild Man because he really is one of the best, most selfless, friendly people that deserves love and attention.
- We got a puppy! She’s a black lab that is keeping us busy and also driving us a little bit crazy, but we have high hopes for her and are excited that we finally got our family pet!
- H has his molars and it has opened up a whole new world for us. I trust him so much more with food that scared me to give him a month ago and he is loving not having to chew with his front teeth anymore.
- We started up Mom and Baby Swim Parties again for the summer! This is where a bunch of my friends and their babies come to my parents pool. We swim, eat snacks. socialize (and in last weeks case get crazy sunburned) and its really fun and something I really look forward to. The kids have fun but I think its especially great for the moms.
- I’ve been feeling quite a bit more healthy this month! I’m still sick and throwing up, but I feel like its a lot more manageable and I’ve got some more of my energy back so I’m acting a little more human and its incredible.
- H has figured out the beauty of sleeping in. I’m not sure if I’ve ever been more proud of my boy.
- My grandparents from Idaho came down for a quick visit and we had a little reunion/surprise birthday party for my grandpa at my parents pool and it was so much fun. It lasted all day and every second was so enjoyable.
- H got his first haircut. If it even counts as a haircut. He just had a few spots that grow a lot quicker than other spots, but it made such a big difference and he was SO good during the process!
- H had his first wake-up-covered-in-his-own-poop experience. I’ll spare you details. Just know it was gross and I’d really be ok if we wait a long time before that happens again.
- We got a puppy! I mean, its not bad that we got a puppy but its just…hard. She bites everything all. the. time. And her favorite thing to bite is H – NOT ok! She’s actually caught on to potty training, sleeping in her crate and doesn’t bark very often so thats really nice. But ohhhhhhh the biting. Also sometimes I wonder why I thought it’d be so easy to take on a one year old, a puppy and be pregnant.
- My sciatic pain and hip and back pain have suddenly gone from bad to worse. I hobble like a little old lady and the shooting pain that I get is so terrible. I went to the chiropractor and thankfully had a few days of sweet relief. I can’t wait to go back.
ON MY BRAIN
- I am so glad that I have clients that come to my spa that recognize that I’m a mom and a sick pregnant lady so when I have to reschedule they are so understanding and patient with me. I try not to do it often, but when I do I’ve been met with kindness 99.9% of the time and I’m so thankful for this. People are good.
- I recently found a girl I kind of knew growing up on social media and started following her and then had to stop very soon after. She was so awful and it made me sad. Nearly everything on her social media pages were her bashing on women for their success, claiming they didn’t do anything to deserve it, dragging them down because of their looks and stuff like that. I don’t actually want to get it on it because it kind of infuriates me but it just made me sad! I so wish people could just be happy for other people! Can you even imagine how much kinder the world would be if we were happy for people and their success? If someone is doing what makes them happy we should respect that and be happy for them – not tear them down.
- A few days ago H had my phone and someone sent my Relief Society President the emoji of a hand flipping the bird. Luckily she thought it was a pointer finger – but I can’t quit thinking about how awkward that was.
- Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout has still not been ridden by me in California Adventure and this is a tragedy. I think about this multiple times a day.
- What did I wear last time I was pregnant because I hate everything I put on my body right now. I need a new wardrobe, stat. If you have great maternity clothing suggestions PLEASE send them my way.
- I’m getting a Prenatal Massage soon and all I’m saying is it better live up to my high expectations I have for it. I have been dreaming of this since the day I found out I was pregnant. So no pressure to whoever my massage therapist is.
Most people have started school by now, so I think I’m ok in saying Summer is over. This gives me a range of emotions, but mostly I am excited. I won’t miss being sweaty and I especially won’t miss trying to find a way to make bermuda shorts look good on me. I will miss the abundance of family activities, getaways and adventures, having my sisters, nieces and nephews home from school and being able to walk outside without shoes on and being able to lay a blanket in the grass and just soak up the sun – then theres my favorite part of summer – my families pool, which is 100% more fun now with the Captain in the family. Summer is awesome and it will be dearly missed…
But I LOVE Fall and I LOVE Winter. September through December are my very favorite months and I honestly cannot wait for them! The smells, the food, the traditions.. I’m getting goosebumps just thinking about it. The only thing I’m not entirely looking forward to is November 20th when my baby turns one!! But lets not talk about that right now.
So anyway. Bring on the cooler weather, boots, cardigans, crispy leaves, delicious smells and the greatest seasons ever.
In Utah, the 24th of July is a holiday and a big deal. This year we celebrated by going with Wild Man’s family to beautiful Lake Powell. We stayed in a house boat in a perfect location and spent the whole week boating, swimming, relaxing and sweating a whole bunch (Lake Powell’s heat is no joke). It was a perfect week and such a fun getaway. There is something so cleansing about being away from your phone for a whole week and leaving all your cares and worries back at home. However I’ve got to say, there is no greater feeling than coming home from a vacation, taking a shower/bath in your own tub thats not lake water and then sleeping in your own big, comfy bed. Unfortunately throughout the week most of our crew (32 people!) got a nasty flu bug that wiped us out for 24-ish hours (but yay H managed to escape it!) but other than that, it couldn’t have been a better week. I loved spending time with family and relaxing in such a wonderful, beautiful place. I highly recommend Lake Powell.
I need to make more smoothies. I’m really not sure why I don’t – they are easy and are a fun way to eat healthy. I’ve made a goal this summer to try more smoothies and stop being so lazy about them. I made my first one a few days ago and I’m a big fan – it turned out delicious and I’ll definitely be making it again soon.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothies
1 cup baby spinach
2 cups milk (water and almond milk would also work)
3 cups grapes (i froze mine)
2 cut up bananas
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
optional: adorable Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse glasses
We have been having the best summer. Babies make everything more fun – even hot, lazy days. Yesterday The Captain and I were inside our house all day long. I was getting a lot of house work, baking and cooking done and we never went outside. Usually I take H out with me to water the grass, flowers and garden but I did it while he was napping this time. When Wild Man got home from work H and I were both bursting with cabin fever and we needed out. I decided on a walk and Wild Man mentioned going to see the ducks. We live very close to a creek and the creek and the houses surrounding it are always littered with ducks (and some of the cutest baby ducks!!) so we thought it would be fun to walk over there and let H watch the water and see some ducks. It was such a fun outing and fixed our cabin fever right up. Watching my cute boy watch the water was my favorite. He is such a water baby.
Speaking of water baby – we have been spending a lot of time at my parents pool, too. Every Friday I have a Mommy and Baby Pool Club and I literally look forward to it all week. On top of that we are over swimming many days out of the week. We live close to my parents so there is really no excuse not to.
On the 4th of July we had a big, family pool party with my family, Wild Man’s family and our sister-in-laws family. It was so much fun having everyone there and eating all the delicious desserts people brought. I think those are my three favorite things about summer, honestly. Family time. Family activities. Food.